If you have recently been involved in an auto accident of any type, you may be confused about what you should do. Following these critical steps can not only help to protect your life, it can also give you a better chance of a favorable settlement from your insurer. Here are seven important steps to take after an auto accident:
- Take pictures
- Taking pictures of the accident is crucial, and should be the first thing you do after any accident (if you are able to do so). This will not only help you file your claim, it can help to prove your case in the event of any litigation or negotiation with your insurance company.
- Get contact and insurance info from other drivers
- You should also make sure you get contact and insurance information from any other drivers involved in the auto accident. This is essential for filing a claim, and makes the process of settling or litigating your case much easier.
- Get contact info from witnesses
- You should also make sure to get the contact information of any witnesses to your auto accident. While they may not be personally involved, their testimony can help corroborate your claim and become essential to proving your case, helping you to get better compensation.
- Report the accident
- You should report the accident as soon as possible after the auto accident occurs. Failing to do so can make it harder to pursue your claim, and make it harder to prove any injuries or damage you suffered as a result of the accident.
- See a doctor
- Even if you have not been obviously injured in your auto accident, you should still see a doctor as soon as possible after your accident. Some injuries can go undetected for a surprisingly long time after an accident, and the longer you wait to get your injuries treated, the harder it is to get compensation for them from insurance companies.
- Obtain the police report, if any
- If the police responded to your auto accident, you should contact the police department that was involved and request a copy of the police report. This acts as critical proof that can be essential for making your case and getting you the compensation you deserve.
- Contact a lawyer
- Auto accidents are complicated at the best of times, and when you are dealing with a serious accident, you may not have the time or energy to battle with an insurance company over compensation. That is why you should hire a lawyer, who can fight on your behalf to get you the best possible outcome for your case.
For more than 50 years, the New York lawyers at Elovich and Adell are ready to represent you in your personal injury case. Our attorneys, conveniently located in Long Beach, handle personal injury, real estate, commercial transactions, criminal defense, and labor and employment claims all across New York State. For a consultation, please call us at 516-432-6263 or visit our contact page for more information.